Week 5 - Embodied Modalities
I definitely had some fun playing around with movements this week as I explored movement patterns in Sarah Chase's video and made connections to Kelton and Ma's (2018) article entitled Reconfiguring math settings and activity through multi-party, whole-body collaboration.
As I stood in front of the mirror waving my hands in various configurations, I found it to be very awkward and even a little frustrating. It seemed so much more difficult than I thought it would be. I wrongly assumed my gymnastics and agility background would help me, especially in the area of cross-body movements and the task of co-ordinating one side with the other. Cross-body movements have many sport benefits (balance, core engagement) but they also help co-ordinate the left and right hemispheres of the brain, increasing focus and retention of concepts. However, when I tried to partition movements, doing something different on both sides of my body while counting sequences and movements, I lost track and had to start again quite a few times.
While I work with adults now, I still spend time with young children in our lab school, and I wondered how our young learners would be able to navigate these types of movements. I wonder if it would be easier for them, since they are so embodied with everything they do, or whether it would be too much. I suppose I would start simple and ramp up the complexity based on their engagement.
The process reminded me of a program I saw a number of years ago called Rhythm of Math. Has anyone heard of it? This is a video that briefly explains the program - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAyUaS23lo and here is an example of a lesson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPgZIvYXPQ. I think it may be a good example of what Susan was discussing in the module introduction - a way to bring together embodiment with the more formalized elements of mathematics.
I also appreciate the social context of the Rhythm of Math videos, which supports many of the ideas in Kelton and Ma (2018). There must be so many benefits to doing these tasks in a group - you can see your movement patterns in others - almost like a real mirror. When exploring patterns or multiplicative thinking, there is so much possibility within a group, as well as the energy and problem solving that comes from bouncing ideas around.
In Kelton and Ma (2018), they explore two case studies from a contemporary perspective that connects social space, embodied cognition, and mathematical ideas. Where embodied cognition is often studied from an individual perspective, this approach recognizes the social aspects of learning and being in spaces. We create stories as our individual bodies move through space, but also as we move together with others in activity.
In the first case study, students worked through activities involving a giant number line; a "walking scale number line" (Kelton & Ma, 2018, p. 183). The physical movement became a tool for meaning making in itself, and seemed to go beyond just performing operations. "Quantitative relationships were understood and talked about as spatial relations between students' home positions and bodies" (Kelton & Ma, 2018, p. 184). The second case study examined students' exploration of pairs task called whole and half, which uses the body as a tool as well as an object of measurement. As students' used their bodies to represent part-whole relationships, the mathematics became dependent on not only their physicality but also their social dynamics; opening the door for multiple problem solving opportunities.
Future directions/lesson ideas
I am thinking about Sarah Chase's video, which was modelled and practiced individually. It would be very interesting to see this unfold as a collaborative experience with young learners (preschool - grade 1). We could explore various patterns and shapes that could be made with our bodies, challenging the children to create patterns with different counts on each side of their body. It may be challenging for some, but the experience would be easy to differentiate. Younger learners could create shapes and patterns with their whole bodies, making comparisons to others, challenging others to try to make their shapes and patterns. I could also photograph their movements. They could look at the photographs and attempt to recreate the patterns and/or make predictions. We could splice them together and play them back to see if the sequences make sense and why. Over time and experience, children could start to apply the more formal aspects - writing corresponding equations and/or drawing representations of the patterns and operations. I am also thinking about the spatial aspects - I know a lot of the young learners have a hard time recognizing that a shape stays the same, even when flipped or rotated. If we took pictures of their movements, they could physically flip and turn them to make comparisons.
What do you think? I haven't tried these types of explorations with such young learners. How might this unfold in 'real life'?
Jen,
ReplyDeleteI had not heard of rhythm math before. I really liked how it incorporated both movement and sound. It reminded me of what I was playing with a bit with a counting system with body movements. I was curious about the addition sample in the introduction video. But it also brought up some of the wonders I had about student choice and opportunity for student exploration. If the body movements are prescribed does this hinder math exploration or does it support it? Are the students thinking hard about the math or are they just trying to remember which body movement to do next? Would the students be able to make connections with writing their experiences down in a more traditional math way?
The value of social learning is a good reminder. I had not really focused on that part of it when reading the Riley et al. article although it is a strong theme now that I look back at it. The researchers recognized that a quality learning environment included social support between students and opportunities for students to direct what they did. In this study the researchers reported surprised at the level of support students gave to each other during the movement based math lessons.
Great lesson ideas. When teaching grade one I often had students work in pairs to make different shapes together with their bodies. It was always lots of fun to see their creativity and how they would learn from each other. I have not done patterns as much and now I wonder why I haven't. What if partner group would present an AB pattern movement core to the class that everyone would have to extend. Kind of like Simon Says.
What a great idea to use pictures as well. I can imagine using these as a centre. Students could create a pattern that their small group would then act out. OOh, I was just thinking about having a big wall mirror that the kids could look at themselves making the actions.
I would like to try this with my grade 2 students.
Yes, partner patterning sounds really engaging! I love the idea of the wall mirror too - they could even draw measurements/spatial references on it to keep track of counts or sequences.
DeleteHi Jen and Lana,
ReplyDeleteLike Lana I had not heard of rhythm math before. I agree with Jen saying it is a great social strategy learning collaboratively. My first stop was googling "assessment for rhythm math" as yes I can see the fun movements and smiles on the kids (great) but what happens when they are in a class with a teacher who Susan terms "stagnant"? I wonder if these kid can verbalize the associative property and connect this to concepts learned in future grades or do they have to stand up look for former classmates to do a dance? Or worst, do they drop out because the teacher they have now is stagnant?
I am glad you tackled the dance Jen as I thought this was too confusing for my kids (8-12 kids in each class of 30 have IEPs, short/long term memory challenges, and limited vocabulary, which leads them to be shy or perfectionist and not try unless they have the dance down pat--at least with my experience with grades 10 and 11 WPM kids.
I really like your idea Jen of having kids create. To me this is what it is all about he kids coming up with their ideas making the learning their own, drawing/painting/hand-movements/music/dance ideas so for when they are in high school they can think/draw/move their hands/sing a song/or dance to help them with factoring and verifying which is typically (at least in my experience) challenging for kids that do not yet understand numeracy concepts.
Like Lana, I love the idea of photos. This helps the kids with complex brains/ASD/FASD or any memory challenges. Lana I love your idea of center activity as we can call this a team activity in high school.
Jen I am curious as to your dance? When I was watching the video I thought of when I use to teach aerobics and the repetition of pattern and count downs took a while for adults to catch. I wonder how long it takes kids to learn new dance movements especially if they have learning needs or limited vocabulary. Can they normalize the swing of an arm to $5, $25, buy 5 get one free..just my wondering.
Hi Carol - I did the dances movements from the video and tried some different counts, just to play around with it. I tried even and odd numbers, high/low numbers - just playing. But, truthfully I got mixed up a lot. I agree with you that some kids may not feel successful with this, but I was just thinking - so many of them are into TikTok dances and movements (or were - has this passed?). Maybe learning those sequences early would help them build a foundation and feel more free to dance in school.
ReplyDeleteHi Jen, yes so many of them are into the TikTok dances and I can get caught up in them too when I go to watch to see what the kids are into so I can try to incorporate a trend into class. Kids at my school are more into Instagram, second according to them is TikTok and snapchat is still coming in at a third (at least prior to my leave). I think learning sequences is important it builds a well-rounded kid, just thought of all the kids that I know that don't like PE because they cannot move fast or I think of one kid, who on the volleyball court is beyond estatic when the he catches the ball instead of putting it over the net. I guess this is what I was thinking of when I thought of the kids that may have challenges. As these kids thrive on predictability and the aforementioned kid is beyond estatic because they feel independent when they go on IXL while the rest of the class continues on with the work.
ReplyDeleteYes, very good points. Thanks for sharing your experience.
DeleteWonderful to read everybody’s comments and bringing together of more familiar pedagogies with these embodied ways of learning and teaching.
ReplyDeleteJen, when I was reading your response I was wondering whether trying these activities outside might make a difference?
Thanks for introducing Rhythm of Math. I noticed Susan included a link to this in week six’s viewings. I agree, there are many possibilities towards doing these activities in groups. As your description of Kelly and Ma’s article helpfully shares. I can imagine future lesson ideas unfolding in real life and welcoming learners who are excluded by traditional approaches. And yet, I also imagine learners moving back and forth between individual and group activities.
I hope you have an opportunity to try your suggestions with young learners, in ways that continue to help open students to exploring different movements and becoming less self-conscious.